Wednesday, July 7, 2010

This is Rosa's Mum





Rosa and I went to Cuenca yesterday. I did some interviews at a school there (more about that later) but also had the chance to meet Rosa's family, including her mother.


Leonor is 83 years old and has been going blind for the last year. She has cataracts and these days can hardly see at all. She has no colour recognition, and can see shapes moving but can no longer tell what they are. This means that this previously active lady who used to go out often and cook for her family spends most of her time simply sitting on a chair.

As I understand it an operation would be simple but they have no money for either the operation or the transport to Quito, so she has resigned herself to spending the rest of her days just sitting. None of the pictures you can see here are posed, this is simply the way she spends her time.

When I walked in and saw the conditions in which this lady and her husband are living my heart almost broke. In the pictures you can see the kitchen and front room of the flat. The floor is made of concrete and they have no heating.
On top of all this she lost her only son (Rosa'a brother) last year, as a result of an accident on a building site where he was working. She said she thinks that it was all the tears after his death that made her go blind. At one point I had to hide outside so that the family wouldn't see me cry.



I have made some good contacts here within the medical field so I am going to find out if there is anything we can do to help. Leonor has never had any money but has apparently always been a good Mum. What is for certain is that she does not deserve to spend the rest of her days like this. I don't know if I am realistically going to be able to do anything but I will try my best. I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Jody what can we do? I had a cataract operation in May here in France, simple and painless, and I totally regained the sight in my right eye, the whole thing cost about 2,000 euros including pre and post consultations and stay for some hours in a very nice clinic. We are so privileged, and I am sure that operation would cost less in South America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh brother. It is overwhelming with all the people who would need help. No wonder you feel down every once in a while. I've seen kitchen like that in Tanzania and heared similar stories. I hope you can find a way to help Leonor. And let us know if help is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if we had a fund raising effort here could we get the money sent to the right place to get Leonor her cataract(s) fixed? how would this work Jody?

    ReplyDelete