Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Machismo, research and dirty socks

Many people have shown an interest in the research I am doing in Ecuador, but I often hear the same question..where do you start?

The answer is simply to talk to as many people as possible. Almost everyone I have met has a story to tell and the more questions I ask the more I find out about the realities of life here. One contact often leads me to another and so the network expands.

I have found that in general the Ecuadorians have been very willing to talk about what they see as the issues within the country. With many people I have had the impression that they have appreciated the opportunity simply to be heard and to have their views taken into account.

In terms of speaking to women, they have been much more ready to speak when there is not a man present. I have been finding out what it means to be a woman in Ecuador. On more than one occasion women have started answering this question and talking about the problems - until they notice that a man is lingering in the background, at which point their response often changes to "todo está bien." (everything's fine).

For this reason I try as much as possible to interview women alone, and they invariably have a huge amount to say. It is clear that the strong presence of "machismo" in the country permeates every level of society and has a knock-on effect in terms of opportunity, education and issues of confidence and self-esteem.

I find contacts everywhere...in the hotel, in the shops, in the markets and in the "lavandería" where we take our clothes to be washed. Just as an aside, clothes here are weighed before they are washed and you then pay 80c for each pound in weight ($1.76 per kilo). Marisol, who works in the lavandería has been very happy to talk about her life and now greets me with three questions.

"How are you? How are the babies? How is the research going?"

You know that you have really gained someone's trust when they invite you into their home, and we are fortunate to have had several such invitations, which has given us a much deeper insight into Ecuadorian culture. The Ecuadorians have much that they are keen to tell the world, and I am looking forward, with the help of people like Marisol, to playing a small part in telling their story.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, in deed, one can reach one thin layer deeper when one can visit a native's home. I am happy for you for all the invitations you have received and for all the people whom you had got to know. You have such a warm, open and giving heart that no wonder people are opening their home doors for you.
    Love, A-M

    ReplyDelete